Monday, March 23, 2009

All in a Days Work

Friday night Abe had to go to the Mission Office for his Mission Presidency Meeting. I took a couple of small books to read while I waited for him. When we got there he got a call from President Cinco from the Carigara District. He handed the phone to me. President Cinco asked me if I would give a talk the next day at the District Relief Society Birthday Party. Of course I said yes but couldn't believe that they waited until the night before to ask me. I couldn't believe it but the two small books I brought was exactly what I needed, along with a Liahona magazine that was sitting on the desk at the office, to write the outline for my talk. I was able to get it done by the time the meeting was over. That must have been a record time for me to prepare a talk. Call it coincidence if you will but I call it a blessing. The talk went well and they seemed to understand me even though no one interpreted for me. They played games and had a dinner. The only weird thing was that the meeting was two hours late starting. We call that Philippino time as it happens all the time. Even the leaders don't expect to start much earlier than two hours late.
The next day was Sunday. We went to Carigara again because we were getting new Branch Presidents in both Branches as well as in Capoocan. I went in the church and sat down by the Relief Society President while waiting for the time to begin class as Relief Society is first. Soon it was time to go and in we went. Just before the opening prayer the President handed me the Liahona magazine and said that I would be the teacher that day. My mouth must have dropped but I said a little prayer, swallowed and stood up and it turned out to be a great lesson. The Relief Society President would insert things in Waray-Waray as we went along and everyone seemed to understand. The Lord knows my weaknesses and he certainly is there by my side when I need him.
We have spoken every Sunday since we have been here and I think this was the first Sunday Abe has not had to speak.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is dad's dream! he loves to speak!